Sugar experimentation June 19, 2011Posted by inspiredbywolfe in Sweet things.
As the annual Threadcakes competition has opened again, I’ve been planning out some possible cake designs to enter. One of the thoughts I had involves a lot of poured sugar, and since I’ve not worked much with sugar before I thought I’d start by doing something a bit smaller.
I’d had the idea to make toppers for cupcakes and cakes using royal icing and poured sugar. Royal icing dries so hard, I thought that maybe I could build up layers of royal icing to form a wall of sorts, and then add the sugar in the middle. I made up a batch of thick royal icing, and freehanded some butterfly-ish outlines onto some wax paper. I let them dry overnight, and in the morning, began heating up some sugar, with corn syrup, cream of tartar and water added.
When it was almost ready, I added some colour.
When it reached 150°C, I took it off the heat and poured it into a glass jug. Then, I carefully poured the sugar into the ‘holes’ left by the royal icing. After it dried, I peeled them off and added them on top of cupcakes I’d made.
I really liked the way the sugar looked – almost see-through – and the smooth surface reflected the light nicely. However, the royal icing was very fragile and some of the edges broke off. I thought they were indeed cute for adding onto cupcakes or cakes, but I’m not sure they would be durable enough to last for a long time. As an experiment, I was quite happy with the results!