What we had for Christmas January 3, 2011Posted by inspiredbywolfe in Game, Vegetables.
I know I’m a little belated on my Christmas post, but here it is nonetheless! Here’s a short roundup of what we ate on Christmas day.
Clockwise from the top middle:
- Roast pheasant with a pomegranate molasses glaze (I brined the pheasant beforehand, resulting in super moist meat and a subtle addition to flavour), made following Hank Shaw’s recipe. I put some sage, chestnuts and pieces of apple in the cavity but did not stuff it.
- Leconfield Coonawarra Merlot from South Australia
- Cabbage with bacon, tarragon and chestnut
- The caramelised onions left over from cooking the pheasant
- Salad of blue cheese, rocket and chestnut (why yes, we were on a bit of a chestnut kick!)
- A cherry and brandy sauce, a type of cranberry sauce replacement (it wasn’t sweet as the cherries were quite young)
- More merlot!
- Garlic butter roasted mushrooms, following this Smitten Kitchen recipe. Oh my goodness. Everyone must make these mushrooms! They are ridiculously addictive. Make them, and eat them hot or cold.
- Stuffing, baked in a separate pan, with onions, chestnuts and sage.
Not shown in the photo are the pre-dinner cocktails we had – this London-style South Side cocktail, with mint, cucumber and lime – delicious and refreshing; and the dessert of ‘eggnog cake’, basically a cheesecake with additional spices and some brandy and rum added.
I hope you all ate well during the holidays, and feasted with friends and family.